Enquire Now Close Button
Ramdhar Maheshwari Career Counseling Centre

Canada plays host to more than 180,000 International students in any given year. Increasingly, Canada is becoming the country of choice for students from all parts of the world.


Canada plays host to more than 180,000 International students in any given year. Increasingly, Canada is becoming the country of choice for students from all parts of the world.

Quality Education 
Canada spends more per capita on its education system than any other country in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). A Degree/Diploma from a Canadian Institute is recognized world wide. International students who graduate from Canadian Institutions enjoy successful and prosperous careers. Canada is known for its quality education & competitive entry requirements.

Canadian Institutes, charge lower tuition fees for international students than their counterparts in competing countries and at the same time, maintain excellent educational quality. However as the fees are more affordable, admissions are more competitive. Over the last three years, Canada's inflation rate has remained one of the lowest in the industrialized world.

Permanent Residency and Canadian Immigration
International students can apply for their Permanent Residency which takes up to 15 to 18 months from within Canada. However they need to meet the minimum eligibility criteria of 67 Points.

Ranked as the Number one Country

For the past 9 consecutive years, a United Nations survey has found Canada to be the best place in the world to live. The survey conducted every year, evaluates quality of life in 174 countries, using over 200 performance indicators. Canada earns particularly high marks for its access to education, high life expectancy and low crime rates.

A safe place to study 
Every step is taken to ensure the safety of students on Canada's campuses. Most universities / colleges have their own campus security 24 hours a day. There are also " Walk Safe" programmes to assist people in getting to public transportation during late hours.

A bilingual nation
Canada is a bilingual country with two official languages, English and French. The vast majority (75%) of Canada's French-speaking inhabitants live in the province of Quebec, which is located in the eastern part of the country but there are French-speaking communities throughout the country. English is the main language of communication in all provinces other than Quebec.

Work during and after and co-op program
Students in Canada are allowed to work part time on campus during the first 6 months of their program and off campus part time thereafter. The duration permitted is upto 20 hours per week. Several programs may even have a paid co-op term where one gets hands on experience in working in the industry. These may even be paid co-ops. Further students on the completion of their program of 1 year can work upto 1 year and students applying for 2 years program can work for 2-3 years.

Work during and after and co-op program

Canada welcomes over 2 lac immigrants per year & has a policy for skilled professionals as well as Business Immigrants. Canada has maintained a strong stable economic growth because of its active immigration policy. Two thirds of the 5.4%pa increase in population is due to immigration.

Canadian Immigration is one of the simplest immigration systems in comparison with other countries. It allows a person to live and work anywhere in Canada, and confers upon that person a Permanent Resident status. It comes with certain responsibilities and may be revoked if the holder does not meet Canadian Residency obligations, or is found guilty of serious criminal activity. A person who is a Canadian Permanent Resident may apply for Canadian Citizenship after 3 years.

Canada is made up of 10 provinces and 3 territories in the north. The Yukon Territory, Northwest Territory and Nunavut make up Canada's three territories which umbrella the provinces in the south. The majority of the territories remain uninhabited and air transport is often the only way around.

Full name: Canada
Population: 34,107,000 (2010 estimates)
Capital: Ottawa
Largest city: Toronto
Area: 9.98 million sq km
Major languages: English & French
Monetary unit: 1 CAN dollar = 100 cents
GNI per capita: CAN $43,640 (World Bank, 2008)
International dialing code: +1 

Canada is one of the world's wealthiest nations, with a high per-capita income, and it is a member of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the G8.
It is one of the world's top ten trading nations. Canada is a mixed market, ranking above the U.S. on the Heritage Foundation's index of economic freedom and higher than most western European nations.

As of October 2009, Canada's national unemployment rate was 8.6%. Provincial unemployment rates vary from a low of 5.8% in Manitoba to a high of 17% in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Canada is one of the few developed nations that are net exporters of energy. Canada is one of the world's largest suppliers of agricultural products. It is the largest producer of zinc and uranium, and is a global source of many other natural resources, such as gold, nickel, aluminum, and lead.


There are four different seasons: spring, summer, autumn (fall), and winter in Canada. In the winter, the days are shorter and colder. In the summer, the days are longer and warmer. Overall, the climate varies dramatically across Canada. Many factors influence climate, such as distance from large bodies of water, latitude, elevation, and prevailing winds.

Some regions, particularly the southern coastal regions, have relatively mild climates. Temperatures might range from -10° to 5° Celsius in the winter and 10°C to 30°C in the summer. In these coastal regions, there is more rain than snow during the winter. Some parts of Canada, such as the West Coast, are quite humid. Other parts, like the Prairies, are very dry.

Canadian culture has historically been influenced by British, French, and Aboriginal cultures and traditions. Many Canadians value multiculturalism and see Canada as being inherently multicultural. The country's culture has been heavily influenced by American culture because of its proximity and the high rate of migration between the two countries.

Our experts will help you with the application procedure. 

1. Intake Period:
International students desirous of studying in Canada have to plan a year in advance. Admissions happen mostly in 
- Fall (September)
- Winter (January)
- May (some institutes)

2. Language Requirements:




Under Graduate



Post Graduate




The above is exempted if students has completed school and college in English medium and have also scored above 70% in the main exams.

3. Eligibility:

Level of Studies


Advanced Diploma/Diploma/Certificate

  • Higher Secondary Class in HSC


Bachelors Degree

  • First Class in HSC


Post Graduate Certificate/Diploma

  • Higher Second Class in Bachelors Degree (4 years only)


Masters Degree

  • First Class in Bachelors Degree (4 years only)


  • First Class In Bachelors Degree (3 years in India)

  • Post Graduate Certificate or Diploma (Canadian)



4. Documents:
Our counselors will assist you in compiling and attesting all the necessary documents*. In addition they will also -
- Give special attention to your application
- Highlight the areas essential for a well-presented, error free application.
- Assist with References and the 'all-important' Statement of Purpose.
- Review your Essays

Documents Required - Covering Letter, Application Fees, Application Form, Statement of Purpose, Essays, Resume, Reco Letters, Transcripts, Mark sheets & Cert., Bank Statement, Affidavit of Financial Statements, Test Score Report.

Education in Canada is provided, funded and overseen by federal, provincial, and local governments. Education is within provincial jurisdiction and the curriculum is overseen by the province. Education in Canada is generally divided into primary education, followed by secondary education and post-secondary. Education is compulsory up to the age of 16 in every province in Canada, except for Ontario and New Brunswick, where the compulsory age is 18.

At Impel we assist students aspiring for Higher Education in Canada (Post-Secondary Level).

Levels of Education
As the education system in Canada is managed by the varying provincial governments in Canada, the way the educational stages are grouped and named may differ from each region.

Outside Québec

Primary education
Grade 1 (ages 6-7)
Grade 2 (ages 7-8)
Grade 3 (ages 8-9)
Grade 4 (ages 9-10)
Grade 5 (ages 10-11)
Grade 6 (ages 11-12)

Intermediate education
Grade 7 (ages 12-13)
Grade 8 (ages 13-14)
Grade 9 (ages 14-15)

Secondary education
Grade 10 (ages 15-16)
Grade 11 (ages 16-17)
Grade 12 (ages 17-18)
Grade 12+ (ages 17+) (Ontario only)

Tertiary education (Post-Secondary Education)
Certificates, Diplomas, Associate Degree (Offered in Colleges)
Bachelor’s Degree, Masters Degree, PhD (Offered in Universities and University College)

Tuition Fees
Diploma & Certificate Program - C$ 12,000 to $15,000
Bachelors Program - C$ 12,000 to $ 18,000
Masters Program - C$ 22,000 to $ 26,000

Living Expenses
Living Expenses - C$350 - $515 per month
Off campus Rental housing - C$350 - $700 per month (Shared apartment)
Home Stay - C$550 - $800 per month

There are limited scholarships available in Canada but they rarely cover the full cost of a study program and they are not always easy to find. Scholarships are available to International students with exceptional results at some Canadian institutions. The amount awarded varies from one institution to another and usually covers only part of a student's education and living expenses. Obtaining a scholarship is very competitive and applications must be made directly to each university along with the application for admission. Community and Career Colleges do not usually award scholarships nor do school boards or most private schools.

Scholarships, grants, and bursaries are available to both international students and Canadian students, often at the postgraduate level. They provide funds to students that do not need to be paid back. Scholarship funding in Canada is limited and highly competitive.

Many Canadian universities and a few colleges have a limited number of scholarships or other forms of financial assistance for international students. These vary from institution to institution and many of these are administered only to incoming international students.

In some cases, international students are automatically considered for these entrance scholarships and awards when they apply to the university. In other cases, scholarships are competitive and students must apply by a specific deadline, or the award may only be open to students who have already received acceptance from the university.

Some Awards and Scholarships available to International Students:
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program
- Canada Asia-Pacific Awards
- Professional Development Awards
- The Pearson Fellowship
- Conference Travel Assistance Program
- Doctoral Student Research Award
- International Research Linkages
- Doctoral Research Award: Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
- Industrial Postgraduate Scholarships Program
- Visiting Fellowships in Canadian Government Laboratories Program
- Research Development Initiatives
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program
- Sauvé Scholars Program
- Trudeau Fellowships
- Trudeau Scholarships
- Strategic Training Initiative in Health Research
- CIHR Fellowship
- Research Associate Program

Financial assistance for international students
Bursaries ranging from $500 to $1,000 are also sometimes available for undergraduate international students who demonstrate financial need and reasonable academic standing. Bursaries may be given out as emergency assistance for basic educational expenses if the student's original financial sources have fallen through.

Students must meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations. 

An applicant has to apply through VFS, which is available in 9 cities, which will then on behalf of you forward your application to the Canadian High commission in New Delhi. 

90 days prior a student can apply for visa, but he can only fly 30 days prior from the course commencement date.

The documents varies depending upon the category of visa student is applying

Processing time varies from case to case 
- Under SPP it takes 3-4 weeks
- Under Non SPP it takes 5-6 weeks


It is recommended to apply for visa as soon as possible to avoid any kind of hassle

English Language Requirement
IELTS is mandatory for if the student if filing for Visa under Students partners program (SPP) with a minimum score of overall 6.0 band.
And it is also recommended to give IELTS even if the student is filling for visa under Non SPP.

Student Work Permit
It is possible for an international student to work in Canada and there are opportunities for jobs on and off campus. However to work off-campus student will require a Student Work Permit. With the Student Work Permit, student will be eligible to work off-campus for 20 hours/week while semester is in session and full-time during semester break.

To be eligible for the Student Work Permit, student must be enrolled in a participating Institution. At Impel, we will help you in getting admission in a Participating Institution. Students can apply for Work Permit after maintaining a full-time student status for 6 months. Application fee is 150 Canadian Dollars and Processing Time is 35 to 40 days.

It is possible to work in Canada while you are a student, and there are opportunities for jobs on and off campus.

On-campus work
International Students can work on campus at a University in Canada where they study without a work permit if they are full time students and have a valid study permit (Student Visa).

Off-campus work 
To work off-campus while studying, international students should have a valid off-campus work-permit. To qualify, student must be a full-time student enrolled at a participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.

Participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institutions: 
are public post-secondary institutions, such as a college or university or a collèged enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Québec or are private post-secondary institutions that operate under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receive at least 50 percent of their financing for their overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Québec qualify) and have signed an off-campus work agreement with their provincial or territorial government.

Eligible privately funded post-secondary institutions:
Are located in a province or territory that has signed a memorandum of understanding with CIC have signed an off-campus work agreement with their provincial or territorial government and have approval from their provincial or territorial government to grant specific degrees.

Selection of Programs and Institutions is very crucial to ensure that student is eligible for Student Work Permit.
At Impel, we ensure that all our students aspiring to get a Student Work Permit will fulfill the requirement of being a full-time student at Participating Institution.

Co-op and Internship Programs 
Co-op and internship programs give students educationally-related work and learning experience that integrates theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skill development on the job.

Co-op program allows students to work fulltime in a field related to their studies. Co operative education is a valuable system for students to enhance their curriculum as well as fine tune their career path. It provides academic credits for the job experience and also improves future prospects for students.

At Impel, we will guide you in selecting a program which includes Co-op Program to ensure that you choose the right path for a better future.
Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.

Work after graduation 
If you want to work in Canada after you graduate from your studies, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

A work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

Social Initiatives By RSET
Street Play